CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Love my fluff!!

While pregnant with my daughter I noticed a friend on FB talking about cloth diapers and how excited she was about them. At first I thought, "GROSS!!!" but the more I saw her posts the more intrigued I was.  She would talk about how she loved getting "fluffy mail" and was pumped when she got to hang her diapers out in the sun.  I finally messaged her to get some info.  At first I was a bit overwhelmed, there are so many different brands and types of cloth diapers, not to mention tons of acronyms that I didn't understand!  But I found a local store, Green Bambino, that held a Cloth Diaper 101 class and signed up right away.  My husband was SO not on board but agreed to go to the class with me. We went and both agreed to give it a shot, I bought my first diaper while there, a small Lilac Bottombumpers.
From there we were hooked! I got a small stash ready, but had to buy some smaller diapers when she was born because I had mostly OS (onesize) dipes.  We got a small variety of types/brands at the advice from the store owner because every parent (and baby) has their own preference.  I have a few that aren't my faves, but work okay for laundry day.
Overall we have spent about $600-$700 on cloth diapers, which seems pricey until you compare it to about $2000-$3000 for disposables from birth to potty training!  I could absolutely make do with what I have until my daughter is potty trained, but I'm sure I'll buy more just because they're so darn cute and fun!  There is also the environmental aspect, which is tremendous.  Each year in Oklahoma County, babies produce more than 102,000,000 disposable diapers that end up in landfills. (taken from Green Bambino's website), and also they are WAY better for your baby!
When I found out that my friend Cherie @ Journey through Mommyhood was expecting, I was SOOOO hoping that I could convince her to cloth diaper.  She happened to get a TON of disposables for her baby shower but said she might give it a try after those were gone.  Well, he is 5 months old and she's just now running low, but decided to do a trial.  Today was her first day and so far she loves them (her husband even willingly changed one!), and I really hope that she continues to love them because they really are so much fun!

0 comments:

Post a Comment